“In sum, our specialty is not specializing.” Greg Glassman, founder of CrossFit
CrossFit is a fitness programme built around constantly varied, functional movements performed at high intensity.
- Intensity. As much as we might want to avoid it, it’s intensity that makes all gains possible. Don’t worry, though; it’s completely a relative term – what intensity will look like for you is different than what it’ll look like for an elite CrossFitter. We start everyone at an appropriate level for where they’re at, and then you progress from there.
- Constantly Varied. One of the fun things about CrossFit is that it’s constantly changing. You’ll never do the same workout twice in a row, so you can kiss ‘monotony’ good-bye. We switch things up to keep your body guessing, and keep you adapting.
- Functional Movements. With CrossFit, everything you do is meant to simulate the kinds of movements that life requires. We do exercises that are primal: squat, lift, throw, pull, push. Back to basics… and effective as heck.
We offer training in small groups so you get personal training combined with the friendliness of a small class. You will be coached through a different workout everyday altered to suit your personal needs. Our workouts are short so they can fit in your busy lifestyle. Have a look at our ‘Workout Of The Day’ page to get a feel for the variety of our workouts and the type of things you’ll achieve.
We believe that your level of fitness is not defined by how far you can run, cycle or swim or even how much weight you can lift, but by how balanced you are over all of the 10 fundamental physical attributes below. An athlete competent in all of these elements will cope, if not excel, at whatever life, or their sport, throws at them.
- Strength – the ability of your muscles to apply force
- Speed – your ability to repeat a movement quickly
- Power – your ability to produce maximum force in minimum time
- Balance – your ability to control the placement of your centre of gravity in relation to your base
- Agility – your ability to quickly change from one movement to another
- Accuracy – your ability to control movement in a given direction
- Co-ordination – your ability to combine several movements into a single distinct movement
- Flexibility – your ability to move your joints through their full range of motion
- Cardiovascular/Respiratory Endurance – the ability of your body to gather and use oxygen
- Stamina – the ability of your body to store and use energy
A full explanation of CrossFit’s definition of fitness, and the science behind it, can be found by clicking on the link to the free issue of the CrossFit Journal “What is Fitness?” on this page.
Whether your goal is to maintain your independence, be better at your sport, or somewhere in-between, CrossFit can work for you. Our training aims to maximise your abilities across the 10 areas listed above delivering a broad, inclusive fitness providing an excellent foundation to sport specific training or enabling you to get up off the toilet unaided.
We prepare you not only for the unknown but for the unknowable. Our workouts blur the distinction between strength and cardio work – life doesn’t make this distinction so neither do we.